Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Aaay, Boba! Ooh dat soy!


Do you recognize that sentence? If you do, you may be a nerd; like me.

I have been a nerd as long as I can remember. Other kids just knew there was something wrong with me. I had big, googly eyes, fuzzy, unmanageable hair, and later I got fat. I just looked weird. There was a point, in high school, however, where I got to be popular, but I think it was because I tranferred from a notoriously tough high school to one with nicer kids. I was popular due to fear. Oh, well! Whatever worked, eh?

Several days ago, I was watching "Revenge of the Nerds," with my son, and I got to thinking how the definition of a nerd has changed. Back in the day, when Revenge of the Nerds was made, it was the smart kids who were nerds. I don't believe that is the case, today.

So what is a modern day nerd? For one, excessive fans. Fans of Star Trek, (do you speak Klingon?) Star Wars, (like me), Stargate SG1, Lord of the Rings, (like PurpleOceanMoon). . . I could go on, but I think you get the picture. Many modern day nerds are fans who go to the extreme. They REALLY get into their fantasies. A loss of touch from reality. This makes them seem like they have no life. Folks without "lives" don't get any respect, and therefore, become nerds. But as one of this kind of nerd, I personally don't care what others think! Star Wars is the best saga the 20th century had to offer! So, if we don't care what others think, does that still make us nerds?

Another kind of nerd is the kind who doesn't have any fashion sense. They look ridiculous, so society makes funs of them, and keeps away from them, lest their lack of fashion sense rubs off onto others, making even more nerds. Isn't this ridiculous in itself? But I must admit, I am one of the first people to make fun of the fashionably challenged. It's just funny! I don't make fun of people who are poor, and can't buy fashionable clothes, but I DO make fun of the folks who obviously have the money, just not the style! Are folks born like this? Like I was born without a sense of direction? (I get lost. I have been living in Sacramento for over 20 years, and I still get lost. Mapquest is my friend. What a nerd!)

The last kind of nerd I can think of are the stupid people. This is the direct reversal of the orginal nerd. I was also this kind of nerd. I made a touchdown in my freshman year in gym class. I was so happy, until I realized that it was for the other team; I had run the wrong way. Nerd! I was the kid who didn't seem to understand what everyone else was doing. Nerd! I was the kid who was failing school. Nerd! I did learn, just later on. I was the first time driver who kept crashing and doing stupid things on the street. A big sorry to the three cars I hit while just trying to get out of my sister's apartment's parking lot. (By the way, my driver's record is perfect!) The photo above is me in the height of nerdiness. Check the fashion sense, though, eh?

Did I miss any other kind of nerd? Were you a nerd? What kind?

4 comments:

MrManuel said...

I was the best kind of nerd, the kind who was nerdy and still got to hang with cool kids.

I agree just being smart doesn't make you a nerd anymore. Hell, it wasn't when I was in HS. I think it is a combination of all those things you listed. Hell, I am still a nerd and I don't care..

PurpleOceanMoon said...

Hey CB,
Tell them about the time you & Becky tried to come home from the Ozzy Concert and you guy went to Davis instead. LOL Than always make me laugh.

Yes, I love the Lord of the Rings & Star Wars & Star Trek. HUGE NERD!!!!

Mom said...

Good Post Allison! I think definitely times have changed. I say if you are comfortable within yourself and having fun,then that is all that matters! Nana (the anti-mom) Get it anti- ha ha - I'm a nerd!!!

Anonymous said...

Good post Allison. I think we are all nerds in one way or another.