Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Another Crappy-Ass Day

Yesterday sucked.

I had to leave work at noon to make it to a workshop for setting my divorce for trial. I sent a message to my boss, asking if it was ok to make up my hours today, in the afternoon, as that is when it is most busy. I also asked if I could start working on Thursdays, too. (I had been working three days a week; Monday, Wednesday and Friday, all day). I didn't get a response from him.

Before I left, I knocked on his door and asked him if he got my message. He said he did, so I asked what he thought. He said, "let's go discuss this in the conference room." I said a cheerful ok, and we went into the conference room. Then he shocked the shit out of me. He said, "you're a nice person, but you don't seem to get it. I am letting you go." WHAT? . . . WHAT? Is what I'm thinking. I said, "but I thought I was doing very, very well!" He said he didn't think I got what they are trying to do in that office. WHAT?!!! He gave me a check that included two weeks pay. In total and complete shock, I gathered up my things and began saying goodbye to the people I loved and thought I would be spending years with.

Why was I in complete shock? Because the girl who was training me was thrilled with all that I knew already, and how well I was doing. The second day I was there, I simplified their e-filing system. The second week, I simplified their storage system. They are still using index cards, for crying out loud! They have this huge, old fashioned library index card holder system clogging up their kitchen! I was planning to convert the cards to a binder system, to take up less physical space. I also did a huge cleanup on their boxes and boxes that needed to be closed and go to storage! I was working my ass off, and flooring them almost every week, with what is really just common sense and hard work!

So why was I and another part-time girl hired in the first place? The lead secretary told me over and over again, that they were planning to get the boss to hire both of us full-time, eventually. There is plenty of work, and that's why I felt comfortable asking for more hours. But now, I believe that we really were only hired to cover the lead secretary's vacation. I was there for two weeks when she went on leave for two weeks. That's why I believe the other girl and I were given a crash course the first two weeks. It really was a crash course, too. I just listened hard and made plenty of notes. That was two weeks ago. At first, I had suspected that's what was going to happen, but all the work that needed to be done made me think otherwise.

Now that I think about it, and after hearing him quietly discussing the other part-time girl's future plans, I know that that's what happened. The other part-time girl is going to college, and has never worked in a law office before. I could tell that she was frustrating the one who was training us. The other part-timer is trying to get into UCLA, and would soon leave if she did. I realized that we were never going to go full-time, and that I was given a bullshit reason for termination. Complete bullshit. I'm sure they will let her go, too, if they haven't already. They might keep her around to finish the storage problem, but after that, they'll probably let her go, if she doesn't leave on her own.

I believe I could have worked there a little longer, but I asked for more hours, and the boss is a reported cheapskate, and also a little shady. He has the secretarys sign his name for him on all the documents. They don't write, "for." on there, either. They just pretend it's him signing. It took them over a year just to get him to get a water cooler for the office.

I forgot things I was supposed to bring when I went to the workshop at the court, and will have to re-schedule. I went to my friend, Monica's house and they made me feel better. Monica has kids who are just the sweetest little people, and they cheered me considerably. Monica also calmed me and soothed my nerves with a little talking it out. I am grateful for her friendship and support. She's a great friend, and I consider her and her family, my family.

So, I gotta look for another job, and hope it sticks. I also have to hope they will pay me my per hour rate, be close by my house, (because of my migraines), be nice to me, and be commited to me as an employee. I prayed to God already, so now I just have to believe in Him, and that He will guide me to the correct path. The work I was doing there was close to collections, and when I got home and thought about some of the defendants and why they couldn't pay their rent, it made me sad and sorry for them. Perhaps, God plucked me out of there for that reason. God always answers my prayers, so I will focus on that. I will pray, and believe.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are more upbeat. You will overcome this. It will pass. I love you.

PurpleOceanMoon said...

I don't know what to say.

THAT'S BULLSHIT!!! Look at that, I do know what to say.

MrManuel said...

I really have nothing to say that would make it better. I'm sorry that that had to happen to you. I'll pray you find something new soon.

Crazy Bitch said...

Thanks, you guys!

Sharon said...

That was the reason he gave you... don't they have laws protecting employees from treatment like this? It's sad you lost your job but just remember everything happens for a reason. Good-Luck!

Mom said...

I'm sorry this happened darling. I'm with with - all things happen for a reason and you have to look at the good and have faith! I love you and will continue my prayers for you. Nana