Saturday, September 02, 2006

My Poochies!



Here are my pooches! Aren’t they cute? They are my babies, and I treat them like the princesses they are!

The black and white one is Tosche-To. She’s so tiny! She only weighs 8lbs. I adopted her when she was only one year old. My soon-to-be ex-husband, Greg had an aunt who was suddenly dying of cancer. Tosche was a few months old when she found out.

When they aunt went into the hospital, Tosche was put into a kennel. Carol, (the aunt), asked me if I wanted her, knowing my love for shih-tzus, and how mine had died several months before. I wasn’t allowed to have a dog in my apartment. That’s why I hadn’t been able to take my first shih-tzu, Venus, with me. I had to leave Venus with my mom and dad.

I had asked Carol to try to find another home, because of the apartment’s policy. But when she died, and they hadn’t found a home for Tosche, I absolutely HAD to take her. The poor baby had been in that kennel for three months. That was no life for a little puppy. He was going to take her to the pound!

As soon as we came into Carol’s boyfriend’s house to get her, Tosche jumped up on us, wagged her little tail and kissed us! She was just the SWEETEST little baby! She was just happy to be around people, again. She’s been my darling ever since! But then. . .

I was getting married to Greg in a few months, and I was worried my son, Seth wouldn’t be too happy about having to share his mom. I decided to get him his own dog for Christmas. When I looked in the paper to find a pug for him, there were none! I asked him if he wanted to wait until there were pugs in the paper, or if he just wanted a puppy right now, because there were shih-tzus in the paper, and they are actually better for his asthma, as they don’t shed as much as other dogs. (Their hair is a lot like human hair)

Being a kid, Seth just wanted his puppy right now, so off we went. We had to travel two hours to get to the breeder’s house! When we got there, the lady suggested we get the one little female who didn’t have a hernia. So, that’s who we got! Seth named her for a character in a video game he was playing; Princess Yuki.

Seth and his cousin, Angel were her main companions for the first few months of her life. Seth carried her around in her bed. He put his favorite baby comforter in her bed. But after a while, Seth had things to do, and he couldn’t always take her with him. She seemed lost, in these times and I felt sorry for her. We bonded, and now she follows me EVERYWHERE!

Shih-tzus are VERY loyal! Tosche is lying right next to me on the floor, right now. Yuki is but a foot away. Yuki follows me all over the house. She is so close to me as I walk, that I can feel her muzzle touching the back of my legs as I go! Sometimes her head gets in between my legs as I am walking, and so far, it hasn’t broken her silly neck! I walk very carefully, around here, but she stills trips me.

Tosche used to do the same thing, but seemed to get tired of it after about 7-8 months. I get up to use the bathroom at least once a night. Yuki used to force herself up and follow me into the bathroom, throw herself on the floor and continue sleeping until I went back to my room. She eventually cut that out of her routine.

It cracks me up how they have their little shih-tzu ideas, and how they make their little shih-tzu decisions!

I wash them a lot, paint their nails, and clip them myself. I really enjoy fussing over them. I never had a daughter, and they help me exercise my love of pink and foo-foo things! They have Halloween costumes, and Tosche gets a new sweater every winter.

I am really grateful to have them. When I wake up in the morning, they are always sooo happy! I always tell them they’re like waking up to a present every day! They hate it when I leave. Yuki barks when I leave, telling me to come back! When I come home, Yuki yipe-barks and Tosche just straight up howls. They make such a racket, I always hurry up to get inside. If somebody is at the door, or if Jenn pulls up in her jeep, Yuki lets out this sort of bay! Like a hound! A big, long scream that startles everyone in the house! They’re great watch dogs!

Well, this turned out to be a long one! I love my dogs, what can I say?

What’s the funniest thing your pet does?

5 comments:

MrManuel said...

Very cute. Aren't dogs the best!?!

Anonymous said...

Very cute poopies.

Crazy Bitch said...

Poopies? That's funny you should say that. I call Yuki "poo-poos." It evolved from boo-boo, because of all the trouble she gets into.

Anonymous said...

I love my dogs. They are so loyal companions. We have always loved our animals but never really appreciated the love and fun they are until we got our little Logan. Now with Duquesa also, they are just the funnest.

Barbie Clinton said...

I have a shih tzu as well! Fantastic! I love him to bits and I have cats to:)