Friday, May 11, 2007

Socks

A few days ago, Jenn noticed that my neighbors were moving. That's right, the people with the barking dog.

The dog went from barking to yipping, then yipping turned into howling. I realized that the people weren't sleeping there, anymore. She was trying to tell them not to leave her. That was heartbreaking enough. I kept my eye on the place even more to make sure they weren't going to leave her.

Then next day, while coming home from an errand, I spotted two dogs running down the street in front of my house. I took a closer look, and yep, it was the barking dog with a pit bull mother dog. I called to them, and to my surprise, they both obediently came to me, and I put them in my back yard. I then walked over to her house.

I spotted the guy and asked him if his dog was missing. He said, "uh, yeah, she must've gotten out of the gate! We're looking for a home for her, do you know of anybody who needs a dog?" I could tell that he had let her out! I said I'd try to find her a home, how long do I have? He told me a day and that her name is Socks.

So I take her back over there, so she could spend her last night in her home, where she would be more comfortable then nervous at my house. I called Rosie's boyfriend, Matt, and told him about the pit bull momma dog. That was the easiest adoption, ever! He took her and has named her, Girlie.

The next morning, I slept until 10 am. I sat right up in my bed, panicked, because she always woke me up as soon as the sun came up. I put on my clothes, and went in my backyard to see if she was there. She wasn't. The gate was propped open. She was gone.

I jumped in my car and began driving all around my neighborhood, all the while crying and calling her name. I didn't find her.

It has been a couple of days, now, and I still hate the silence that has replaced her annoying bark. I feel terrible about the fact that I didn't take her from him right then. I feel like I failed her, and now she is probably more scared than ever. I prayed for her; that she finds a good home where the family loves her and shows it. A home where she doesn't have to be outside and can be part of her "pack."

Wherever she is, they'll never know her real name, or what she went through before they got her. She may even be dead, or still running. These thoughts torture me, so I try not to think about it. I just pray for her whenever I think of her, and have prayed to God that I can reunite with and explain to her when I am delivered to Heaven. Bless you, little Socks. Good luck, sweetheart.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they found her a home and she is well. If she had just run out you would have found her. You have such a kind heart dear. Don't be so hard on yourself. You did all you could.

PurpleOceanMoon said...

You couldn't have taken her anyway. She was STILL they're dog. Mom's right you did EVERTHING that was possible.

Sharon said...

(I apologize if this posts more than once... having some technical difficulties.)

This story turned out completely different than I anticipated... hopefully "real mom" is right about them finding her a home or maybe they decided to keep her. I also agree that if she were roaming the neighborhood you would probably see her like the first time.

I wish Socks luck... you did all you could.

MrManuel said...

There is only so much you can do sometimes.

Mom said...

She is safe! Just keep that happy thought in your mind. She was a good dog so she is making someone very happy right now! By the way, Cassie's Bella had puppies yesterday. They are so cute! Nana