Monday, September 18, 2006

My Rescue Fishies!

The other day I was at my friend's house, and noticed that her set of three Beta fishes, (two boys, one girl), were in dire straights. One's water was so low that the top of his dorsal fin dried out. One other had so much poo in it, the water was brown. She has been very, very busy, and hadn't noticed how neglected the fish were.

I think she could tell from the look on my face that I wanted to help them. When I asked if she wanted me to give them some fresh water, she offered them to me. She just didn't have time to care for them, anymore.

So I took home my poor, little fish friends, and gave them fresh, clean bowls and water, right away. I washed the little "rocks" inside their bowls that are really globs of colored glass that are flattened on one side. I then gave them a little food. They are now doing great!

When I come over to them and start telling them that they are good, pretty fishies, and that I love them, they seem to like it. They come right to the surface to see me! Sometimes I'm afraid the bigger male will jump out of the water for a kiss!

But, today after I got my coffee, I noticed that the little female wasn't visable. This was weird because they live in those little, clear, globe bowls in which you can see everything inside. So where was she? I looked closely, and she was stuck under one of her "rocks" and wiggling for her life! In an instant, I saved her. Whew! Silly, widdle fishy!

About 15 minutes later, I got a feeling that I should check on her. I looked, and she was gone AGAIN! At closer inspection, she was REALLY stuck! She was completely underneath a couple "rocks." She was trying to get at some food that fell beneath the "rocks." I saved her yet again, but this time, I took her "rocks" out. She has lost her "rocks" privilege.

When I was accepting them, I was thinking that it's not hard to care for fish. Just don't over-feed them. Well, I guess Beta fish are different!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fishies now. You are beginning to collect a menagerie. :-)

Princess M said...

Oh I love betas. I had a big tank with a screen in the middle and a male on one side and female on the other. When they saw eachother, they would do a dance and change colors. It was awesome. They are a awesome fish. Congrats!

Crazy Bitch said...

Mom: you know I can't turn any living thing away that needs me!

PrincessM: Thanks! These fishies are great! I put the bowls next to each other, touching. They can see each other a little. I have the female in the middle.

Anybody got suggestions for names?

Princess M said...

Lol! Jen! Fishsticks? Sick and wrong. Just sick and wrong.

Anonymous said...

Let's see. Two boys and a girl. How about Tom, Dick and Mary.